Sunday, January 1, 2012

Stitch Every Day--Week 53

I arrived at 53 by starting and ending on Saturdays . . . . because I know you were wondering.

Anyway, I've come to the end of the "Stitch Every Day" goal. This week I did stitch every day--knitting dishcloths. I found the perfect yarn to match my mom's new countertops. I've already made two.

I'm happy I made this goal and was able to achieve it, for the most part. Of the 313 stitching days, I did knit or sew for 299 of them, 95%.
Not too many areas of my life remain around 95% for an entire year--so I'm really happy with that.
Some of my 2011 goals, listed below made it to the "complete" pile, and others are still in piles waiting for me to work on them.

SEWING GOALS 2011

3 quilts
   denim
   daughter (Completed 9/3)
   sister
3 dresses
   one
   per
   daughter
(One completed Feb, October, December)

bathing suits?? how many??
(TWO IN JUNE)

a new apron for me
(FROM MY FRIEND)

write about sewing once a week

I learned I need more time quilting if I make a goal to finish three in one year. I made significant progress on the denim quilt this year, and I am pleased with that. I finally figured out which fabric to use for the backing and I will put it back on the list for 2012. The quilt I made for my daughter was great success, one of the most rewarding projects to work on this year.
In addition to knitting 637 dishcloths, I also:
inserted my first invisible zipper
lined a dress
used a magnetic snap
tested a pattern
learned how to gather on my serger
made my first t-shirt
stitched buttons on by machine
bought too many patterns and fabric
for the first time made 3 dresses in one calendar year
worked with my daughter on a quilt
sewed baby hats
knit 1.5 hats

Next year, I would like to continue to stitch every day, without always falling back on knitting a dishcloth to achieve it. There are many ways I would like to progress in sewing--mostly trying new things.
I titled a handful of my favorites from 2011:

Polar Opposite Award

Challenging/rewarding
Beautiful/uncomfortable
She didn't wear it more than 5 times--because it is itchy under her arms. That has been frustrating.
BUT, I still love it and value the time I put into it, though. It was worth it, and I will get to try again.

Best New Pattern Award

Love this pattern. It is a quick, rewarding sew, and I will repeat often.

Most Lovely Award
Not much to say here, except it was a joy to sew. Hopefully she'll use it for many years.
In black & white to see contrast


Most Meaningful Stitches Award
I've never cried as many tears sewing as I did when I made this infant burial gown.
Read more about it, here, if you want.

Best "In Progress" Award
We're going to have a party when this one is done. I'm so happy it's a quilt top after years of being a pile of scraps. If I finish nothing else in 2012, it will be this one.

It was a great year, 2011! Here we are, 2012! 

1 comment:

  1. I read your post. You have done nice work. I like girls pix so much. Its so cute and pretty. Its too good.

    Peter Pilotto

    ReplyDelete