Saturday, December 31, 2011

#40, #41 Simplicity 4206

This is my third and fourth version of this pattern. What can I say? I like repeating things that have given me good results.


#40

#41

These are for nieces who live far away. I didn't have the luxury of measuring their waists myself, so I hope they fit. They are modeled here by one of my daughters, who is smaller than they are. We used a paper clip at the back waist of the dress to hold the extra.

This time I serged the edges of the tiers and used the gathering foot on the serger to gather them. Then, I sewed the layers in reverse order of the pattern instructions--biggest layers first, gathered onto smaller. I am really happy with the look, it is more "in style." The length is not ideal--it's a little longer than I intended. I didn't measure seam allowances, and because of the different way I attached it, it is longer than it would be if I had done it following traditional construction.
I will probably make another for the girl(s) in my home and see what I can do to get the right length.

Anyway, I hope they love them and look darling in them.

One more thing:
I'm no expert, but I think I turned the middle row upside down on the gray version. The nap seems wrong to me--the color is different. OOPS!!!!!!

#40 Pinwhale cord from Joann's this season--Project Runway.

#41 Pinwhale cord from Joann's two or three season ago. I bought all they had and then realized it wasn't enough for more than a skirt. I love the print--very versatile. If they brought it back, I would probably buy a bolt. And then regret it, what would I do with all that cord?

New skills:
I practiced changing serger thread by tying on this time. I went from white, which was on when I started, to black, and back to white. It was quick & life-changing.

And, I learned to gather on my serger. I was inspired by a friend's recent use of her gathering foot. It took a little practice, but I plan to use it again.

Started FR, December 9
Completed TH, December 15th.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, those were quick and they turned out great!! I have to get over my gathering foot hang up. Can you believe I have a ruffler that I have never even used??? Shame on me! My serger's gathering foot has been collecting duct too. I must remedy that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The skirts look great. I never would have thought to attach the tiers on the outside, but I love the look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This outfits look very fashionable and fantastic. I like most skirt of your baby. Its perfect suits your baby this outfits.

    gifts for boys

    ReplyDelete