Saturday, April 23, 2011

Stitch Every Day--week 17

Stitchwise, this was great week!

M Bittersweet stitches.
I began my first infant burial gown.
I decided several years ago that I would like to sew burial gowns for premature infants who die.
(And their mothers).
When I read about another lady who made these, I thought, "I want to do that!"
I didn't know my first gown would be sent to a family member, but I was honored to be able to help my husband's cousin in a time of need. I used this pattern.
I will make more--but will always remember sewing this one.


T Finished the gown. It went very smoothly--it is a great pattern that I would use again. I can't sew without thinking about those who will wear what I make. This was no exception. It was such a tiny dress.
Here is the hem . . . I wanted the pattern in the eyelet match up and was pleased with how it came out.

 I felt "Heavenly Help" beyond my skills as I was sewing, and several times stopped my sewing to wipe away a few tears. I don' t know how to put into words what I experienced--but I loved being able to. 


W Knit dishcloth rows.
TH Knit dishcloth rows.

FR Spent 1.5 hours (or more) tracing and altering the Liverpool.
 The major changes I made: (Only listed here so my brain doesn't need to remember them).


 1)Moved bust dart one inch lower.


2) Half inch FBA.


3) Removed one contour dart. It had two and I decided to use one. Then I moved that dart lower and laterally (ie away from center front).

4) 3/4 inch waistline increase on front and back pieces.

Sewed together my first muslin--front and back pieces only. I am pleased with it because it is my first. Now I have to make a second--I need a little more room in the waistline and bust.

SA I compared my altered Liverpool with one size up--and was pleased with the changes I made. It fits really well in the shoulders--which I would not get if I went up one size.
And for my stitching today, I re-hemmed part of my daughter's birthday dress so she can wear it on Easter. (And from now on, I will wash it on GENTLE).

Enjoy your Easter sabbath with your family!
Here are the latest flowers--One of the first times I've picked my dozen roses.