Friday, December 5, 2014
Sock the first
One of my first knitting teachers (my friend) knits socks all the time. When I learned to knit (over 10 years ago), I decided I wanted to make socks--just like her. This year, I determined would be the year. I finished the first one earlier this week.
Another friend suggested using Getting Started Knitting Socks by Ann Budd. It proved helpful. Not only are there patterns to fit all sizes of feet, but each section of the sock (cuff, heel flap, heel turn, toe decrease, finishing) are explained in detail. I used the pattern but flipped back and forth to reference each section as I went. (I have no affiliation with Amazon, just telling you what worked for me to learn how to knit my first sock).
Since there are various sizes of feet in our house, she also suggested starting with a sock that would fit the youngest. It would get my feet wet and be finish-able, and was a great idea. There are currently 3 pairs of feet about that size in our house, so I am sure it will get used, even if the youngest isn't the one who wears them . . he already complained it is itchy.
(It is itchy . . . . pretty sure it's 100% wool, I should have used something softer but was just trying to use up yarn I already have).
The second one is already on the needles . . . .
Happy stitching!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Love the sock. It feels like hot cocoa and a good movie on a blustery day. What a nice gift to make for people :)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete