Friday, October 31, 2014

What the Wizard will wear today



With a large family, we've come up with some creative (and inexpensive) costumes over the years. We decided to spend more for the 5th grade costumes, since it's the last year of elementary school, meaning the the end of dressing up at school.

This year, my 5th grader wanted to be a wizard. She insisted on a hood instead of a hat. I found Simplicity 1583 View E had the features she wanted, so I waited for it to go on sale. We settled on a purple crushed velvet from Joann's. I had to talk her into the rick rack--she doesn't love a lot of sparkle. I was grateful that I thought far enough ahead to get the supplies 3-4 weeks in advance, because when my back went out a week ago, I thought it would never happen.
 Monday morning I cut it out, (SLOWLY--to not do more damage to my back) and got enough finished she could wear it to church for the Halloween party on Tuesday. I added the 2 and 1/2 packages of sparkle later, and it's ready for the costume party and parade at school.

This pattern is a fabric hog. Definitely need a coupon or sale for the fabric. It's got enough ease that the teenage son can put it on, though it's too short for him. I never did find finished pattern measurements on the tissue . . . ?

It's been a LONG time since I've sewed with a clothing pattern and I enjoyed it. What made it so enjoyable was knowing that perfect didn't matter, I simply wanted complete. I took some shortcuts . . . . and the inside finishing isn't anything to brag about, but she's got her wizard look, and that's what's important. Garment sewing, I still love you.

Firsts:
First full costume.Why did I wait this long?

Details:
Started: Oct 27
Finished: Oct 31
Size 6, with length 7

1 comment:

  1. It looks great! I really like the sparkle, and think it completes the look. Good work!

    ReplyDelete