Friday, September 12, 2014

Belated summer "vacation" report

It's taken a couple of weeks of children back in school to gear up to write this post. Here are a few of my accomplishment from this summer vacation:

(I realized I have 5 summers left with my oldest, and 13 left with my youngest. Summer vacation isn't really a vacation if you stay home with kids, is it?)

I knit a hat.

I scored big in the Schnitzel & Boo mini quilt swap.

I helped plan and execute a family reunion for 26 people--my husband's family. A lot of work that was well worth it--they are great. Half of them live in the same city, and the rest of us live many miles away, so it's nice to reunite every couple of years for a couple of days.

In our garden, we grew zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, rhubarb, lots of weeds, and our own children.

There are lots of parts of my yard that are not photo worthy. Even amidst all the weeds, good things still grow. Maybe next year will be the year we start earlier . . . but for now we have enough zucchini to feed ourselves and a few to spare. We started plants from our own seeds this year--progress.

My children didn't accomplish half of what I'd planned for them. Perhaps what I planned was too much for me to follow through with?

When my sister came to visit, I emptied the dining room table completely--put all the sewing projects away.
(She should come more often).

This was like clearing my mind. It gave me the desire to start over. I pulled out my Retro flowers start and got moving on it. 14 blocks were completed when I stared writing this post . . . today there are 18.
The 17th block . . . grey is my favorite

Quilt blocks, trimmings, and papers to file . . . . on my dining table

My goal is to finish the top during Sept.
7 more blocks.
I finished 2 this week.
Cutting is the hardest part of this quilt for me. So much cutting.
It will be worth it.

Also, I would like to make an item of clothing in Sept, too. I want to be a finisher . . . so I am going to finish some things before I begin new ones.

The "new" is so enticing . . . . but for me finishing is better.


What did your summer vacation bring? Have you "started over" recently?
Happy weekend!


2 comments:

  1. I would love to come over more! Maybe next time we will sew instead of can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those retro flower blocks are gorgeous! You chose just the right fabrics for these. Sew glad to see you have not given up on them. Love those curves and look forward to seeing this one come together!

    ReplyDelete