Friday, June 13, 2014

Finished mini quilt--Schnitzel & Boo Swap



100_7029

What do you do when there's one month of school left and you have a large family coming home for the summer?
Over-commit yourself.
Do you do that, too?

At least that's what I did. I decided to join the Schnitzel and Boo Mini Quilt Swap.
I am glad I did, but have been thinking that I need to watch my overcommitments. It's so easy to think it will only take a little time . . . . it's a mini quilt after all. About once a week I feel as if I've over-committed myself, so I think it's something I need to work on.


I loved making it--I tried to stick to my partner's favorite colors and I chose Tula Pink's Fox Field for most of the fabrics, since she's one of her favorite designers. It's a great palette. The scale of the fabrics was challenging and since I am not a fan of animals in fabrics, I fussy cut around them. Horses, foxes, and bunnies . . . not my thing.
About the pattern itself, it's a Mini Rise & Shine by Thimbleblosssoms. I did change some things--mostly the HST's on the corners of the 16 patch blocks. I did some of them, but not all of them. I struggled a bit to get them to line up, but now I know how come. The next 10 of them I will probably make without a mistake. Perhaps I will revisit it, but for now, just following the advice I read in my children's piano teachers home:

Do the best you can
Right now
Where you are
With what you have.

(Or something like that).

Meaning, if I were to start today, more of the blocks would be perfect.
But . . . I didn't start today, I finished today.


100_7023 II really love the color combination in this quilt: the great colors mixed with the low volume background squares. It was a pleasure to make & fun to participate in this swap. Another quilt to add to my mini-quilt wall . . .

Happy stitching!

Linking to Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts


8 comments:

  1. Great fabrics! Who wouldn't love this?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. really, really well done and great colors for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    A beautiful mini-quilt! I love the fabrics you used and I especially like the row of patches on the back: the colors match great and this row really stands out.
    I'm new to quilting (well - until now I am just reading about quilting), so I have a question (hope it''s not too stupid): you sewed those 2 triangles onto the back. Do they also have a function? (maybe for hanging them to the wall?)
    Thanks in advance for a reply :)

    Gabriele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's what they are for. Good question.

      Delete
    2. Thanks a lot for your reply! That's a good idea I have to memorize.
      Gabriele

      Delete
  4. Beth!!!
    I just received this gorgeous mini in the mail! It is perfect!!!! Such teeny, tiny piecing! The candies are awesome & the fabric scraps will come in handy today while I make my scrappy sew together bag. You have blessed me! Thank you from the bottom go my heart!!! Betty Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty:
      Thank you for commenting, I'm glad to know you received it!

      Delete