![]() |
| Love this design . . . especially from a distance. |
I am using shirtings and solids for the centers, and a light grey print as my background. I will be making the twin size quilt . . . which has 12 blocks. The blocks are large, close to 20 inches.
The shirtings are from Joann's or from Goodwill. Last year I bought some mens's shirts to turn into a quilt. I hired my daughter for 50 cents a shirt to cut the seams for me. It was $2 well spent. I paired up the colors--to get the reverse image.
UPDATED to ADD: The idea for using thrift store dress shirts came from Jamie Costiglio here:
http://thatsmyletter.blogspot.com/2011/12/p-is-for-patchwork.html
Here are the rest of the fabrics waiting patiently for me to cut them.
The centers are different than they were designed to be. I really wanted squares in the middle so I figured out how to make that work. My deadline is about a month away so I think it's reasonable to finish by then.
I'm happy with how they are coming along.
What do you think?


This is so fun! I love the use of shirtings and garment fabrics in quilts. It reminds me of the way my grandmother quilted - as a way to use up scraps and eliminate waste. It has a wonderful feel, like it's from another age. Before designer quilting cottons (not that there is anything wrong with those, they're just a different feel). I love it.
ReplyDeleteOh, this is so great! I can't wait to see it all finished up. I bet it will be super comfy. I love the idea that you're not using "traditional" quilting cottons.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea! I love my husband's soft, old work shirts. I think it's going to look fantastic!
ReplyDeleteThank you Jenn. I updated to show where I first saw the idea of using men's shirts. Only one of mine is from my hubby--it wore through at the elbow.
DeleteI love love this! It is really looking nice! Love the center being different - Visiting from WIP Wednesday
ReplyDeletexo jan@sewandsowfarm