On New Year's day, I sat under this quilt all day long tying.
![]() |
| The blur in the background is one of my daughters enjoying a game of basketball with a homemade basket. |
![]() |
| Evidence that what children want most is not money . . . they want YOU (which in this case was my hubby playing b-ball with them all afternoon) |
There were tears as I realized I wasn't tying the knots right and they began to slip out. Tears because I was halfway done and would have to re-tie half the quilt. I got through it OK--why was I so emotional? Fatigue from staying up too late? After the kids went to bed, I enlisted assistance and happily received it.
I was hoping to finish in time gift to a little one who moved to a big boy bed. I finished at 11:30 p.m. on his birthday. Perhaps better than him unwrapping it, I wrapped him in it on his birthday. He mentioned it after he woke up.
This quilt has been miles in the making. I started saving jeans for it when I never re-visited my pre-baby jean size, over 12 years ago. Do you remember these denim overalls of awesomeness? I wore mine in 1998 . . . now they are part of the denim quilt.
The pieces of this quilt have been through more than one thousand mile moves. Finally, a quilt. Happy she's done.
(Probably the oldest unfinished object ever).
![]() |
| I made the one on top, too, the summer I went away to college |
Pattern: Disappearing nine patch.
(Love this pattern. Next time I make it, I will follow my mom's advice to use a light, medium, and dark for every block. She is right).
Denim: my clothes, donated denim
Back: striped sheet
Binding: Three packages of bias binding
Ties: Size 10 crochet thread





Hurray!! It's finished!! I remember you working on the piecing during our sewing nights. It looks amazing. Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteThat's such a "real" quilt being made from clothes and handtied and made for someone you love. Congratulations on the finish! Also, loved that part about kids really wanting us. At the end of a trip to Disney, I can so confirm that.
ReplyDelete