Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Encouraging creativity

In 7th grade, I took art. I had a wonderful teacher--Mrs. Hayes. One of the 7th grade projects was making a clay pig. All the classes before me had made pigs and that was the project. You would take two bowl shape pieces of clay, attach them at the middle, add feet, snout, ears, tail, and you'd have a cute pig. My older sister, one year ahead of me, made a cute pig.

I don't know exactly when, but I decided I didn't want a pig. I remember holding the two bowl shapes in my hands--thinking they looked a little like a hamburger bun. I asked if I could make a hamburger instead. I formed a clay burger, tomatoes and lettuce between the buns, and even added onions and sesame seeds.

I loved art, and Mrs. Hayes. I liked her from the beginning, but think I loved her when she let me accomplish the project in a unique way. Her encouragement made a big difference. As a teacher, I can see how easy if would have been for her to say, "NO." I'm glad that she didn't.

Many years later, I realized that the classes after me were allowed different options with their two bowl shapes. My younger sister, for example, made an alien.

My mom kept the hamburger, pig and alien for many years. (I've been begging her for at least 10 years to let me throw it away. This weekend, she let me).
If someone asks you to make a hamburger instead of a pig--say yes!
I'm grateful for an art teacher who said yes. Thank you, Mrs. Hayes!

(A sewing post is coming soon!
Tomorrow--I promise).

1 comment:

  1. I had forgotten, or apparently never knew the history behind the three masterpieces we made. Thanks for the photo!

    ReplyDelete