Sunday, May 27, 2012

Finished this week & a craft for kids giveaway

I haven't been sewing much . . . . but it doesn't mean I haven't been busy.

A couple weeks ago a friend emailed that a group of moms was getting together to make crafts for kids for the summer. The idea was each person would make one craft kit for 50 kids. Then, we would meet, exchange, and walk away with 50 complete activities to break up the summer boredom.

Some moms chose to sign up for more than one craft . . .  meaning they had to execute more than one idea 50 times, but they would also walk away with more than one set--if they wanted their kids to have the same activity. Wanting to maintain sanity, I chose only one.

I chose this Color Wheel Garland, from Family Fun. It was suggested by the swap organizer. It is an easy activity to dress up or down based on the skill level of the participant. It can be worked on by my 2 year old, but I also think my 4th grade daughter is going to love it, too.

Doing this made me realize a couple few things:

1)I love color--all those little rectangular pieces of paper made me happy
I cut light, medium, and dark of all the color wheel primaries and secondaries. Here are two kits to show that not all of them are the same . . . . and I love to see them all done and laid out.
Can't do such a colorful project without making time for a contrast photo . . . . pretty good.

2)It will be nice to have something to pull out when they say, "I am bored, what can I do?"
3)Doing anything 50 times is a lot of work . . . I have given up my naptime crafty time to this project for over a week. Having a paper cutter would make it faster.
4)People are nice. . . . I asked some friends for empty cereal boxes and I received a lot of help--which was great.
5) People are nice . . . . (part 2)
One lady made multiple craft kits for her own children and also for a friend. I never thought of giving something like this away. But wouldn't you love to receive it?
6)I probably would have done nothing to prepare crafts for my kids this summer without this swap.
7) I loved working on this project with my daughters. Although only two are pictured here, all 3 helped me.
Helpers being silly

Giveaway . . .  .

When I assembled the kits for my craft, I miscounted and made way too many. So, if you have my email and want a set, I can send you some. If you don't have my email, leave yours in the comment and I will contact you. I will leave open until Wednesday, midnight, May 30th . . . U.S. Postage only. Please tell me how many you need . . . . limit 5/comment.
I will give them away until they are gone . . . this is not only one winner. You are all winners! I have lots, so if you want one, please let me know.

Each kit contains paper for 6 colors, 6 cereal box circles, string to hang, and instructions. You will need scissors, glue, hole punch, time to work on it with your children. (Mod podge is optional, which I would only recommend if you are planning to keep it longer than this summer.)

And, I did sew a tiny bit this weekend. It made me want to sew a little more before school gets out.

Have a great week!!!

2 comments:

  1. I would love three for my kids! I keep trying to figure out if I could organize a swap like this, but just don't feel like I could do it. You know where I live. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want one if you have enough to give away! What a fun thing to do with all your friends. I need to organize something like this ASAP!

    ReplyDelete