This is the second time I've made this dress. Find the first here.
My goal is to make three dresses this year--this is number two. Since my oldest daughter outgrew all her long sleeved dress options, she moved up the priority list. Last year I attempted to make this dress for her, but it was too small. I think it would have worked if it weren't corduroy--the bodice was too tight to be comfortable. This time she says it's too loose . .. . it's hard to win.
Maybe I should make another version in an 8 to see which she prefers. I didn't think she would have liked a size 8 bodice--I thought it would be too small. But after seeing her wear it all day today, I am not so sure??
Date started: Sept 27th
Date complete: Oct 14th
Fabric: 21 wale corduroy from Hancock's (purchased last year), 1/2 buttons
Pattern changes: Size 10 bodice and skirt length size 12
What you would never know by looking: I folded the placket too many times while attaching to the hem. You are instructed to cut away a small piece of the overlapping fabric so it isn't too thick . . . . but because I folded too many times, I cut too much. The result is a 1/4 gap on the inside fold of the hem. I zig-zagged the end of it so it hopefully will not unravel. I am interested to see how that part of the dress wears.
This time I felt more confident with the buttonholes. Praying right before I started them didn't hurt, either.
New Skills: I learned how to sew on buttons with my machine. I will probably never go back!!!! It was so fast.
Conclusion: My 8th dress. Although both versions I have made have been solid, I think the simplicity of the design would work well with a print. Joann's has some really great corduroy prints this season that would be perfect with this dress. I am sure this is not the end of my Music Box dress plans. If you are thinking about this pattern but are not sure--I highly recommend it. Especially if you are new to sewing dresses--this one is easier than some because it is sleeveless, and the Oliver + S directions are very good. (Despite my mistake on the hem. I didn't do that last time).
Also, my plan was to sew a dress for each girl's birthday, but I might re-think that. For this dress the deadline was cold weather--not her birthday. I felt less pressure this time. Not sure if it was the deadline or just the style of dress--the last one was pretty complicated for me, so this time I enjoyed less pressure.
![]() |
| She told me I had to use this photo, too. |



It looks great! I am glad it was wearable after the trouble you mentioned. B looks so beautiful in it, too!
ReplyDeleteIt looks great!! It's a beautiful color, and even if she isn't thrilled with the bodice fit now, there's plenty of 'grow into' length.
ReplyDelete