I raised my hand to be a pattern tester for Debbie Cook's OooRah Wallet. I found out I was chosen last TH, cut fabric on Monday, and sewed it on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Here it is:
I love it. The pattern is well written and will make a great wallet. Debbie's instructions are very thorough and her graphics are easy to understand and follow.
Like most of my projects, I feel like I need to do a second version. The mistake I made is one that I've read beginning sewists often make--I used the wrong fabric. I wanted to use fabric from what I already owned, because I have a growing fabric problem. I combined these two fabrics in my head and was pleased with them visually. BUT, in some places in the wallet, there are 6 layers of fabric, including interfacing and fusible fleece.
Which is very thick. And too thick with anything thicker than quilting cotton.
Functional, cute, but much thicker than intended.
So I will try again.
In the meantime, if you want this pattern for yourself, here's the link.
The purple gingham came from a dress I bought at Goodwill strictly for the fabric. It is about the same weight as twill. The flowered fabric came from a designer label children's dress which had an unfortunate stain. I just avoided it in my cutting.
New skills:
Inserting the magnetic snap, sewing with vinyl, pattern testing
Conclusion:
All in all, a good learning experience. I am interested in pattern testing again.
#35 on the 35th week this year!


I think it looks great, esp for a beginner sewist and your first try. You saw on my blog how lopsided MY first one came out and I made the pattern. lol ... I probably also led you on a wrong path with the fabric choice since (1) I wasn't explicit and (2) I used cammie fabric. But cammie fabric is actually and suprisingly not too thick.
ReplyDeleteYay for the wallet!! I'm so glad you got to give it a try. It looks really good, particularly for a first attempt.
ReplyDeleteLooks great to me. I bought the pattern and will be making some shortly...
ReplyDeleteNicely done, and don't you love how easy and effective magnetic snaps are?
ReplyDeleteGreat job on the wallet!
ReplyDeleteGreat job! When can we see your second version?
ReplyDeleteThanks for your kind comments!
ReplyDeleteCrazy Bird, no second version in the works until after I finish the birthday quilt I am working on for Friday.
Great job! I'm looking forward to making one too. The hardest part is deciding on fabric. My bee has a swap for Christmas and I have to make 10 of whatever I decide so that each member has one. I'm thinking that this wallet may be too much to take on for that...but then again, think how good I will be at making these after cranking out 10! Hmmmm...we'll see. I enjoyed your blog and will be back for more to see what you are working on next.
ReplyDeleteFirst I want to say great job on the wallet. Your sewing is great, especially for a beginner sewist! I just wanted to make you aware that Debbie is being investigated by the ETSY legal dept. because the "OOO RAH WALLET" Pattern she is selling is a completley plagiarized copy of Birdiful Stitches Passport Wallet (seen here-- http://www.etsy.com/listing/73287413/the-traveler-passport-wallet-pdf-sewing). The pattern instructions, layout, text placement and pattern pieces are completely the same.
ReplyDeleteI don't want to make anyone upset here but a group of us ladies would really appreciate it if crafty women (such as yourself) would stop linking to this fraudulent pattern.
A good friend of mine made the pattern. She makes a lot of patterns. She has to now that her husband is battling cancer. She counts on the additional revenue via ETSY to make ends meet during this trying time. People like Debbie that steal and resell patterns take money out of her pocket. And with 96 (as of now) sales in just a few short days...she has taken almost $1000 away from her.
Best Wishes in your sewing endeavors,
Jennifer Lawson