I am consistently surprised as the week number goes higher and higher. . . . I feel progress . . . but it is so small at times that I feel impatient for it. Must be more patient with myself.
M 3/21 Sewed one seam--the shoulder seam of V8699. It went well.
T 3/22 More work on V8699
W 3/23 Ditto. I think this is the night I did the neckline. It came out really well!
TH 3/24 A friend came over and we serged edges of neckerchiefs for Cub Scouts. The Pinewood Derby is Saturday and they will wear black and white checkered scarves--race car print. I serged 11. My friend did twice that many. I love sewing with others. I prefer not taking my machine elsewhere . . . but I don't mind if others come over.
FR 3/25 Knit a few rows after one of those, "I haven't stitched today!" moments later in the evening.
SA 3/26 Switched back my serger thread and had tension issues. What finally worked was cutting off all the strings and starting over. It think that the looper threads weren't in the tension disks. Because once I tried that part again, it worked beautifully.
Stitched & serged side seams.
Hemmed sleeves by hand.
I am not happy with the hems . . . too bulky. Any advice on hemming knits? It seems I shouldn't turn them over twice--that's where the added bulk came in.
(I think I already know the answer . . . try my coverstitch, right?). I will probably redo them. I think I can do coverstitch OK on the waistline hem. I have a little bit of extra fabric, so I will practice and see how it goes.
The sleeves scare me, though. I bought a Heat and Bond product that I am interested in trying.
I am not moving fast, but I am really happy with the sweater. In my last version I had some slips with the serger and got some tucks and holes that weren't supposed to be there. This version--no tucks or pleats!!! And with the major seams done, I think it's a success.

Coverstitch is definitely the answer!! And I never double fold a hem on knits. They don't fray, so there isn't any need.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to see the finished sweater!
I loved the coverstitch on my hems.
ReplyDelete