(I refer to the the 3 jersey sheets that I found at Goodwill for $2 a piece).
Today I turned one of those into something else.
Frustrated at my experience of working on an FBA for The Liverpool (which I haven't worked on in a month), I decided to sew something that was already my size. After reading Katie's post about Vogue 8699, I decided to give it a shot because of all the elements I love:
knit fabric
Full bust size (I don't love this, I simply need it)
princess seams
3/4 length sleeves.
I traced it a couple of nights ago, cut it out last night and sewed it today.
This is a "muslin" before I cut into another fabric which cost me more, in other words you will be seeing this again.
My biggest problems came attaching the sleeves. I decided to lay them in flat. This worked well through my basting step. When I serged, however, I had a hard time turning the fabric. In one side I got an extra flap on top of the shoulder,
and in the other I got a dart--right in the armpit.
![]() |
| Not quite right . . . |
Ideas about how to get the fabric out of the way while serging the shoulder seam?
I also had a little bit of trouble serging the princess seams over the bust--they aren't perfectly symmetrical--but they pass for now. Vertical seams on jersey are not as easy as horizontal ones. I basted before serging the princess seams on the back--which corrected the problem. (Although the curves there aren't quite the same.)
I am glad I practiced. Once I have more experience, I don't expect to need to make a muslin every time. . . but for now it feels like the best way to gain confidence.
I like it even with its flaws.
(sorry I have no great photos--my adult helper was gone.)



That's great color! What an awesome Goodwill score! I like the way your cowl drapes. I definitely need to make this again in a lighter weight knit.
ReplyDeleteFor the sleeves, what has worked for me has been to serge the same way that I sew - that is, I go slow, pin a lot and reposition often. That way I can be sure I don't end up with my fabric in a wonky bunch.