Saturday, January 15, 2011

Stitch Every Day--Week 3

1/10 Finished the hat for my daughter. She is wearing it, but complains of how itchy it is.

Fabric.com came to my door bringing only corduroy. Must use sewing machine soon.
This is one of the corduroys I bought. My plan is next fall's Oliver + S Music Box jumper for daughter #3
Also checked out two fitting books from my library . . . . (my library doesn't have a very large sewing section--these are two of the gems)
The Perfect Fit and
Pattern Fitting with Confidence by Nancy Zieman

1/11 Worked on some knit dishcloths I started and never finished.

1/12  Finished the knit dishcloths. What will I stitch tomorrow?

1/13 Serged the major seams of the PJ's I cut out in the wrong size. They will be summer time wear for my #3. Also, mending. Began repairing the giant tear in my coat pocket. I lost keys in it today . . . it's time.

1/14 Finished coat pocket repair.

A friend came over for PJ help. She came with her pattern cut out and left with hemming and the waist to do.

I spent an hour and a half working tracing of Amy Butler's Liverpool. Tracing and adjusting--which I am slow at anyway, but to complicate matters, I complicated matters. I am using a smaller size based on my high bust measurement and will adjust with a FBA. Some who have used this pattern in larger sizes comment that the shoulders are too big. Perhaps I should sew the size that corresponds with my bust size and see for myself?
Perhaps I should have chosen a pattern without so many darts to attempt for my first FBA?  . . . if it isn't going to work, I can try again later. . . . when I know what I am doing. It is going to take me some time. I want a good fit before I cut fabric. Even then, it is likely I will make a muslin before using fashion fabric.

Kept asking myself if it was worth it. Still think it might be? I have three button up shirts that fits me, two with longer sleeves. Since I am shortwaisted, 3/4 sleeves is long enough. . . . They are from Lands End and cost me $50. I love them but don't want to pay that much every time. If I can figure out how to make one, When I figure out how to make one, it will be worth it.

1/15 Serged the major seams of another pair of PJ's I cut out in the wrong size. They will be for my youngest in another year or so.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, your first FBA!! It will change your life. I actually think that a shirt with darts is the easiest place to start with an FBA, since you'd otherwise have to guess where to add them. Call me if you need a consult!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the corduroy! I love the dress I made for Alyssa from corduroy. I am scared to buy fabric online because I want to touch it, but maybe I could buy corduroy.

    ReplyDelete