Saturday, September 25, 2010

7 SewSomethings ( + 1)

I read another blog with great sewing ideas . . . . No Big Dill.

This month, the author, Katy has been hosting a September Sewing Celebration, in honor of National Sewing Month. She offered a challenge, to learn something new. When she made the challenge, I racked my brain trying to think of what project(s) I could start.

Then I realized, I didn't need to START anything new.
I am a great starter. I want need to practice more finishing.
I decided my celebration in September would be to FINISH.
 
At the beginning, my goal was to finish 7 projects, one for each member of the family.
I did it!
And added some NEW SKILLS.

Here they are:

1) Almost as good as new shorts:
When the elastic in my son's shorts died, there were two options:
fix them,
or throw them out.
I opted for fixing them.
For $1.50 and a little bit of time, they have a new lease on life.

NEW SKILL: First time replacing elastic.

2) Zippered pouch:
At a family reunion this summer, we sewed each child a small bag. One daughter volunteered to wait for hers a little longer. (I ran out of interfacing). Here is her finished project:
(Nearly edited out the ironing board--but it adds something, don't you think?)

NEW SKILL: I sewed the bottom of the bag together in a different way so it would stand up.

3) Old Navy Sweater
 This sweater has been in our family for a few years after purchasing it for $5 at a thrift store (brand new with tag still on).  The zipper pull was broken, so I decided to replace it. For the price of a zipper, I extended its lifespan. Here it is:
See how fun it is to wear?

NEW SKILL: replacing a zipper in a sweater. My first time sewing a sweater . . . have you tried?

4)Ready to Wear Repair.
We are preparing for winter.. . . it's coming (like it or not). One thing in the mending pile was for the youngest daughter. All her dress needed was a button.
One and DONE.

No new skill. Just practice finishing.

5) Coin purse
A year ago, I wanted to copy my coin purse, which needed replacing. Version one included my first two zippers sewn into anything. Sadly, the coin purse was too small to fit my cards conveniently, so I buried it in a pile of projects that I would get to . . . . eventually.
This month, with the goal to finish 7 projects, decided to try again. I dug through the moving boxes, found the fabric and zippers, and began again. This one fits just right!



NEW SKILL: First time using bias tape to cover raw edges.


6) Sentimental PJ's
These 18 Month pj's have been in the family since #1 wore them.
When #3 was wearing them, they developed a hole in the foot for little toes to poke out of.
Thus, #4 never got to wear them, but she got to model them here:
#5 will, because I replace both panels on the bottom of the feet. Hip hip hooray for mending!

NEW SKILL: Does it count that this is the smallest thing I've ever serged? I stitched the feet in with the regular machine, but then went around the raw edges with the serger to finish them.

7) Replace elastic on Hubby's shorts
My husband estimated that these shorts are 25 years old. In their previous life, they were athletic warm ups for the cross country team at his junior college. When the coach was giving them away, my husband picked up a pair and  made them into shorts. (He has some impressive sewing skills).
That was a LONG time ago.
The elastic was shot, so I replaced elastic here as well.

This elastic was extra thick and strong. It took out two pins and one sewing machine needle.

We hope the shorts last another 25 years.


7 + 1) One more sewing project that wasn't on my list, (but the inspiration came from the DillSpiel)
Here's my version of a Katy Button . . . . . it matches a skirt I recently finished . . . .













One more p.s.
SO CUTE EVEN STRANGERS LIKE IT . . . . 
This daughter was stopped on the playground by a girl she didn't even know who complimented her on the ponytail holder. . . . we will be making more.


It has been very satisfying to finish these projects.

Hopefully it opens up some space in my brain for future creativity . . . because I haven't decided what is next. 

Happy Sewing month!

4 comments:

  1. You've been so busy lately!!! I have a hard time making myself do those kind of projects too. It's so not fun to fix, when I could make something new, but once I do it, it is really satisfying to save something that otherwise would have ended up in a landfill. Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I'm so impressed! Way to go on all of your projects. I'm so impressed with all of your skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great celebration! I love all of them. It is satisfying to finish up those projects that have been waiting for you. Maybe this will provide the needed inspiration to tackle the ones I have waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa! You have definitely been celebrating this month! Great job. Your zipper fix looks like a pro.

    ReplyDelete