Friday, July 30, 2010

The second suit

#16

Can you tell I LOVE numbers?

The first suit was a little too small so I made a larger version. It is the same material, so in theory, I spent no more money . . . for the fabric.
But I bought swimsuit elastic, thread, and needles.
I learned a lot.
I learned that the building in my town that says "Hancock Fabrics" has a furniture store inside. The closest Hancock's is MILES away. Disappointing. Perhaps the 2 Joann's within 15 miles and a local Pfaff dealer make up for that. Joann's was very busy . . . are you seeing lots of people in your fabric stores? The bad economy is encouraging home sewing?
I think I learned the proper method for threading a double needle . . . At least the way I was doing it at the end was much more successful, no broken threads or skipped stitches. So if not "proper," I will take "better."
(Don't you love that perfect little mouth? She posed really well for this one).

I became very discouraged at Old Navy yesterday when I saw toddler bathing suits on sale for only $8.
I got over it by reminding myself about the adult prices at Macy's earlier this season.

This one didn't go together much more quickly than the first, but I did have greater confidence about what I was doing. The inside finishing details are better. I will spare you the photos, trust me. I couldn't find a matching thread, so I went with Navy blue so it would show well.

Next time: I need to improve at dividing elastic into 4 equal parts, though this is a skill that will need fine tuning. Any good practice tips besides practice? Measuring? I pinned more this time, which was helpful, but still ended up with more gathering in the front than the back.
When she put it on this morning she said, "It's looser!" Love her little tan line?

I am thinking about buying nylon thread (Wooly nylon) for the serger to attach the elastic the next time.  I think it will work well on the neckline . . . not so sure how easy that will be on the arm and leg holes since they are tiny. Hesitating . . . . we'll see.

We've been at the pool for swimming lessons every weekday for the last 3 weeks. One week left!

2 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful! She is a darling model.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really good. Definite visible improvement. Quadranting the elastic does take practice. It may help at first to further subdivide it - that is, instead of 4, make 8 sections, especially on the neckline where you have more space. Still, this one looks pretty even on her!

    ReplyDelete