
Most expensive bathing suit ever??? (In terms of time, not money). The next one has to go more quickly.
When I discovered Jalie Patterns, I decided I would get the bathing suit pattern as my first.
(Two great features of Jalie patterns--They are sized from 2T to 3X or so), and they are printed on heavier paper. Their shipping took a long time, but if you can wait, they are worth the extra price . . . I will use this one again and again and again).
It sat in my closet for several months while I asked myself, "What were you thinking?"
I was scared to start on this project . . . I've been procrastinating several months . . . but I bit the bullet the day after my daughter put on last years' bathing suit to reveal how much she has grown. One thing that stopped me is that her measurements don't nicely fit into one size . . . I wasn't sure what to cut. I cut an F, the smallest size the pattern offers and made no adjustments.
My favorite part is that my model kept walking through the room asking, "How's my bathing suit?"
Don't think we'll lose her at the pool in that bright pink she picked.
New tricks & happy notes:
I read this idea about using plastic sheeting to copy the pattern, and decided to try it out. I loved it! (Reading that blog, Creative Chicks, has given me MANY good ideas . .. . sewing and non-sewing).
I lined the front with swimsuit lining I bought on sale at Joann's last fall. I got about 1.33 yards for only $2! The pink lycra was also on sale .. . can't remember exactly but think it was under $4
I want to buy swimsuit elastic . . . but haven't done it yet. I used clear elastic instead, which was also something new.
Swimsuits and dresses are BIG on my list of to makes--because I want to be able to give my daughters something to wear that is cute and modest, so this was a big step in that direction.
Next time:
Need more practice on seam allowances. I'm not very good at keeping them consistent, especially on something so stretchy.
Buy a print from Spandex World. It will hide mistakes better.(A great suggestion from my friend, Katie).
The armholes are quite tight. . . . ? I should have chosen a different size or at least modified it to fit.
Need to practice dividing elastic into 4 equal parts. Sounds easy enough, but requires skill, as you can see in the photo. I did pretty well on one side of the neckline and not so well on the other side. I also ignored the voice that told me to start with a leg or armhole, I stuck with the pattern because it advised me to do the neckline first. I should have listened.
Use serger.
Conclusion:
It took me a LONG time to make this suit. I know it won't take as long next time, but I did ask the question more than once . . . . Is this worth it?
Yes! I couldn't have learned more about making one until I "DID" it.
What I learned will pay off when I make #2, 3, 4, etc.
(Garment #12)
I have lots of years of swimming suit sewing ahead!
She loves it!
It made it through the first water of summer vacation!


Yay! You finished!! D looks so cute giving her swimsuit a hug!
ReplyDeleteIt looks great! Good job with it.
ReplyDeleteIt's taken me way too long to comment on this fabulous blog! Thank you for sharing your sewing expertise with us! I love all of your tips and tricks. I will be using this blog often. You're so awesome.
ReplyDeletePS Would you be ok if I added this blog link to my blog? Let me know. I won't do it if you don't want me to, and I would completely understand.
ReplyDeleteThanks Beth! I took a picture from your blog, made it into a button and put in on my blog! Yay! Thanks again for your great inspiration!
ReplyDelete