"The key to learning is to be able to experiment with not knowing."
found in a public library in a town in the Rocky Mountains
In 1996, I stayed at college for half the summer. I had three classes. One at 7 am, another in the afternoon (after a late morning nap), and once a week in the evenings, I took watercolor painting.
I loved the painting class most of all. It was the only formal art instruction I'd had since 9th grade photography.
One evening my teacher said,
"You _____ throw out your first 200 paintings."
Did she say, "will" or "should" or "will want to"? I can't remember.
The important words are
THROW OUT
and
200
I was SHOCKED.
And discouraged.
In her class, I painted about 50 paintings, and even that is generous.
Since July of that year, I haven't really painted again.
I am still a long way from 200 paintings.
As the years have passed I've come to terms with what she said . . . . it takes a LOT of practice to get a really great painting. And the number 200 isn't necessarily so important, painting #193 might be better than #200 . .. . it's the experience that you gain in the learning process.
As I write this post, I have completed about 10 items of clothing. I am on my way to 200, because by then, I will have something really good to wear. . . . . I know I will wear many of the first, second and third attempts.
I might even number them. . . . just because counting is fun.
So I am experimenting with how to sew clothing . . . and it's a fun process that will yield many great results.
Here's what I experimented last night and today:
Experiment #11
copy of Shade clothing cap sleeve undershirt
Last summer my mom kindly gave me 8-10 t-shirts that she was getting rid of . . . I was excited about them because my serger was very new and I wanted to have some scrap knits to work with. Last night I cut into one to make a new undershirt to wear under some v-necks that are too deep.
Here is the result:
(You are looking at the white--the purple is a shirt I bought from JCPenney).
I am really happy with the result, and I wore it today. I used the bottom of the t-shirt so I didn't have to repeat the hem. It is just how you see it here, a little wonky at the neckline. The jersey curled more than any fabric I've ever used . . . .and it was not as stretchy as the shirt I was copying. I am not too concerned since most of it is covered up. I do plan to repeat this shirt in a different fabric and color so I didn't worry when things went a little bit wrong.
I did not use the serger this time--just a stretch double needle.
Things I learned:
1) It was comforting to know that I was making a muslin. When it didn't go my way, I wasn't disappointed, I just thought . . . "ok, I will do _________ differently next time."
2) I like sewing to meet a need. This is gratifying if it is for someone I love or for myself.
Next time:
Stretchier fabric (I think this will help with the gaping) I wonder if it will curl? I assume so
Mark my seam allowance or follow the lines on my machine a little more closely
Use the serger? Probably.
(down the road I would like to bind a neckline but I don't think it will be in the next generation)
Here's to experimenting!

Yay for experimenting!! Want feedback?
ReplyDeleteThat is quite an experiemnt...do you mean you just looked at a picture of a shade shirt? Even just looking at one in person. Wow! I am not that brave. I am not very original. Patterns for me. Altering is something I need to learn. It is nice to sew with a purpose. What a great start!
ReplyDeleteNo, no, no sorry I didn't give a lot of detail about the process . .. .
ReplyDeleteI own one "shade" shirt. I wish it were 1 inch higher in the front.
So I copied it to pattern fabric and raised the neckline a little and went from there. I will be making at least one more of these . . . but it might be A.M.
After Move.
Looks good! I love how you brought up that it may take many attempts to get something how you want it. I love experimenting with sewing. It is fun that it is something we can share although many miles separate us.
ReplyDelete