
More than once I asked my husband why I didn't just BUY a cute apron instead. He assured me that I was learning useful skills and that the first time we do ANYTHING it isn't easy.
I guess I have been doing a lot of the same things over and over again,
Wake up
Lunches
Kids to school
Home again for housework or
Shopping
Lunch
Nap
Kids home from school
Dinner
Flag football/scouts/or some evening activity
gather as a family
Crash into bed
Repeat
and getting out of my comfort zone was uncomfortable.
It was not easy. The ties were particularly tricky. Sewing with black fabric is a little bit like knitting with black yarn . . . it's hard to see exactly what you are doing, and I don't have the right marking tools.
New Skills:
what "understitching" is
how to use interfacing
my very first V-neckline
why marking your fabric can save you a LOT of time
I bought a seam guide, it's the best sewing money I've spent in recent memory.
I got through this apron with a lot of help from a friend who was making one, too. She's great and answered many questions and let me look at her apron a handful of times until I understood how the pieces fit together.
Likes: the ruffle at the bottom
Dislikes: I'm not happy with how the waist ties attach to the body of the apron, but they work. I hope they will get easier the next time I use this pattern.
I did not use the serger at all on this pattern.
I am keeping the pattern, but think this apron will last me a long time. In the meantime, I can't wait to use it at dinner! Now, what is for dinner?
Remember when you see this photo that I today I am 24 weeks pregnant!
RE: the shoes. When my husband was in school, there was a black tie scholarship dinner that we attended. I bought the shoes for that event, and have only worn them a handful of times. They seemed appropriate for such a fancy apron.
No comments:
Post a Comment