Completed June 16, 2009
Pajamas for me--my first serger project
I chose this pattern because I wanted to add a pocket, so I needed a front and back panel. This is the first item of clothing I sewed using my new serger. I was pleased with how the plaids matched up on the side seams. In the end, I decided to not add the pocket, because it was preventing me from working on the project. It was too many new skills all at once. The next time I make this pattern, I would like to add the pocket and adjust the pattern lines to make the legs straighter at the ankle. They taper more than I would like.
I was SO excited to use my serger and loved how quickly it worked. I commented to my husband, "This is the way to sew, and I don't even know what I am doing!" I really like sewing and finishing edges in one step.
The greatest triumph of these pants was sewing the center seam where the legs join together. I was afraid to do it because of the curve--I didn't know if I could turn fast enough on the serger to get it to work. I lengthened the stitch length and proceeded, and it worked!
I made an extra large, or size 20 to 22. The pants ended up being too large. I chose the size based strictly on my measurements. Later, my friend told me that McCalls' often run large. I never thought of going down a size, measuring the pattern on my body, or doing any alterations. Hindsight! My main goal in the project was getting a finished product that was wearable, and since they are pajamas, it didn't matter to me if they were too big, they are wearable!
They are so large, in fact, that I wore them comfortably throughout my pregnancy this time. Now that I am 5 weeks post-partum (and still wearing them), I am wondering if I will cut them down smaller or not . .. . probably not. I think I will just start over. I saw a cute print at Hancock's today . . . .
Would like to make these again, with pattern adjustments.
It is the first item of clothing I have sewn and worn, therefore, a success!

No comments:
Post a Comment