Thursday, February 20, 2014

Color Wheel Mini Quilt



When I saw this on Diary of Quilter, I decided to make one for a special relative.
Like Amy's version, I started with Jenean Morrison True Colors and added in some scraps from my Retro flowers quilt as well as some others I had.

Scarcity of Heath inspired the pieced backing. Love a spectrum on the back of any quilt.

Not quite straight . . . but finished.
I had trouble in a couple of spots, so slowed down a bit when it came time to applique it to the background. I used something similar to this method and got to work. I couldn't figure out exactly how it would work with turning--but it came out well. Next time I will use the lightest weight interfacing I can find. This is more of a medium, and it's a little stiff.

Then, I hand appliqued the dresden to the background. I chose handquilting because it is small and will be more meaningful to the recipient--someone who loved to quilt by hand. I echoed the inner and out circle and divided each section of the wheel with a vertical line. Simple and quick.

The other spot that gave me trouble was attaching the binding ends. I looked up a couple of tutorials and decided I needed a video. The video below was very helpful.

(How smart to practice joining the ends while not working on a quilt . . . without a looming deadline). I've wanted to execute this skill a number of times and haven't because I waited too long and just had to get it finished. This time I decided it would be different. Perhaps I will practice so that next time it's easier. I wonder how many practice runs it would take to feel comfortable?

I recently saw a few quilts where the binding fabric was the same as the background. It was easy to decide to do that here. I don't think I will use that technique too often, but I like it. Have you tried it?


I made one for me too, but will have to order some more Black Heath before I can finish it.


Hope she loves it!

True Colors by Jeanean Morrison
Lotta Jansdotter's Bella
Liesl Gibson's Modern Workshop
Denyse Schmidt's Florence
Violet Craft's Waterfront Park
and Alexander Henry's Heath for the background.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks Laura . . . you probably guessed it's not coming to you. I wish I could make 10 of them & send you one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lovely. Also thanks for leaving a comment over at my blog. You appear as no-reply so there is no other way to contact you. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I took care of the no-reply issue.

      Delete
  3. The black heath is such a great choice for all that color! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sara. I knew I didn't want white and it was the best black I had. It's a great fabric.

      Delete
  4. Sweet mini quilt! Love the fabric choices and contrast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what fantastic colors, and what a lucky recipient!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Emily. I think she likes it. She was surprised, anyway.
    I saw your Fireball quilt--awesome. I also love your "Conversation Pieces" pattern. I buy those every Valentine's day even though they are terrible candy . . . it's the messages on them I love.

    ReplyDelete