Here's what's new to me on the green version:
The front blocks are based on the design spotted in this quilt.
And some free motion quilting on the bottom.
![]() |
| Nothing new here . . . just happy with how it turned out |
Front: I decided against 100% monochromatic. Based on an idea from this post, I decided to make it a little more interesting by adding the complement to red--green. Almost rushed out to buy more fabric, but caught myself in time--remembered I had lots of green with red from the Scrappy Trip Christmas Quilt.
I like it more than monochromatic. Next time I will try this block a little more random with more value contrast.
Lining:
To me, the most exciting block is this:
My mom has two antique quilts made entirely with this block. I've always loved the pattern in these family heirlooms and was thrilled to find a paper pieced version for personal use here. I made two, one for each side. It was enough work I don't know that I'll ever make more.
Floored by how well my great grandmother made it match up without the paper piecing, (handpiecing has its virtues), and now I have a greater appreciation for her work since I've made two blocks. I can't fathom how long making those quilts took--they are made for a full size bed or larger.
My nod to the Economy Block Along (on Instagram)
My measurements weren't very accurate . . . I lost some of my corners. And I prefer these blocks with more value contrast, but I wanted to try it.Would probably use Crazymomquilts tutorial if I try it again.
I consider these fabric baskets to be my "Sampler" quilt. Sampler quilt design isn't my favorite. I do, however, appreciate the skill building nature of them.
Not sure how many more of these I will make. Right now I have 5: Black, grey, blue, green, red.
(My color wheel begins at BLUE).
They are time consuming--(READ: there's an easier way to sort scraps quickly), but I enjoy the learning process. At least two more are in my brain--orange and white/low volume.
Happy stitching!







Both are great! I love the different quilt blocks and quilting you used.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Renee! The quilt on your profile photo is pretty amazing.
ReplyDeleteWould love to make something similar for my daughters nursery. Keep saying that!
ReplyDeleteThanks for showing all of your bins off-----they are very intricate and pretty!
Thank you, Sara. This pattern is a good one--I am happy with it--just not going to get them all done soon.
DeleteLOVE the red one. What a great use for those extra blocks laying around.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Sue. I liked the chevron quilt you just finished as well. Have a good week.
ReplyDelete