Sewing clothing isn't easy.
(For me).
Maybe that's why its so rewarding when I get it right?
I made a muslin today, although I hoped to make something wearable. It's not but here's what learned:
1)Think through cutting layout twice, cut once. I messed up the layout because I was cutting in a single layer. I cut two of the same piece, instead of a right and a left (one was to be a reverse image).
2)Muslins are my friends.
3)At this stage, progress means not getting it right the first time I try. Allow more time for making a muslin
I bought Jalie 2788 after trying on this top at JCPenney. It's cute and my size.
But it has the strangest darts I've ever seen rotating out from the twist. On the right (my right), there are two downward pointing darts. On the left, there are two that rotate upwards. Weird, right? I am sure it's because of the twist. I came home and ordered Jalie 2788 that night after reading a few positive reviews.
I began with one in my daughter's size, much less fabric to waste if you start small. I used a size M this time, but added about 1/2 inch to each side seam b/c I know my daughter prefers it a little looser.
I procrastinated starting for several weeks (too long), started today and will have to start again another day.
Here's how far I got today . . . .
![]() |
| Please excuse the white thread . . . knew it was a muslin and too lazy to change it. Lightened the photo b/c it's navy blue. |
It will be cuter next time.
Loads of potential--this pattern.
Willing to try again, just not very patient.
Happy weekend!


I love that pattern! I can't wait to see the end result. And maybe borrow the pattern next time I see you, or even better make it with you.
ReplyDelete