Monday, December 16, 2013

A first quilt

Sitting on top of my queen size bed
My daughter and I worked on this quilt a couple of summers ago as a way to keep her busy & productive. I wanted to feel comfortable letting her sew without my being in the room.


Haven't washed it yet, can't wait to see it's crinkly goodness

 I saw this quilting design on Oh Fransson! first, but have seen it pop up on lots of lovely quilts I like.
 I'm especially happy with the quilting in the border--more detail, but not over the top.
Bound in a Modern Workshop print as well.

We bought 3 charm packs of Modern Workshop by Liesl Gibson, several yards of white, and got started. (I think it was 2011 based on when that fabric came out . . . so it's been awhile). My daughter spent quite awhile deciding which fabric would go where. Then, we began to stitch them together. I assembled the rows into the top and added borders. A local friend did the quilting, which was a quick turn around & reasonably priced. (If you need quilter in the Northern Colorado area, I will get you her info).

I let it sit in my room for MANY months, and I was the hold up. For her birthday, I secretly bound it and wrapped it up.

Perhaps on her next quilt I will be ready for her to do the rotary cutting, too, but using the pre-cuts was a great way to let her get her feet wet & make something beautiful.

Feels great to have this finished. Glad she has learned the skills and has the quilt to keep for many years.

***Note: We only used about 2.5 charm packs, because there were certain prints she was not interested in using. 


10 comments:

  1. Love this quilt... really gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Merry Christmas . . . . Feliz Navidad!

      Delete
  2. Using precuts is such a great idea. My girl is still only 5, so not sewing yet, but when she is I will be following your plan and using precuts. What a fun project to do together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amanda. Because of the added stress of teaching, it was nice to have the convenience of the pre-cut. Will be repeating soon with daughter #2.

      Delete
  3. It is beautiful and you have built such a lovely memory together! I have pinned this as I love the simplicity of it yet it is just so gorgeous! Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen! Are you really in NZ? What a great thing. That's probably the first time someone from NZ has given me a compliment. Best wishes for your holidays.

      Delete
  4. It turned out wonderfully! I bet she will be so excited to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Renee. She does like it--it's on her bed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Northern Colorado - who quilted your lovely quilt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, I didnt' see your comment until tonight, 3/7/2014. If you are still interested, email me at huntforhappiness at gmail dot com and I will give you her contact info.

      Delete