Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Guess Who? Mask: Pattern Giveaway--Closed

100_5750 by stitch every day
100_5750, a photo by stitch every day on Flickr.
Years ago, I listened to a "talk on tape," by an experienced mother. Among her ideas, I liked the idea of avoiding single-use items, and focusing time and attention on multi-use items. She had many children and not much space. She talked about sewing a cape for a costume--black on one side, red on the other. She liked how you could use it for many different costumes & characters.

Although I have forgotten her name, I loved that idea and have tried to incorporate that into my buying. Years later, I also sewed such a cape--black & red. It has been used many times in our home for dress up and at least one Halloween.

A local sewing acquaintance of mine, Sandi Knowles, designed a multi-use pattern, a dress up mask pattern. It is the Guess Who? Dress Up Mask Pattern, sold at Elizabeth Wyatt Patterns. The pattern comes with six options and additional suggestions of how to adapt it, if you want to make something else.

I volunteered to test it, and decided to make one for my littlest . . . . in the middle of back to school shopping and he was feeling left out. He was chosen and he asked for the dog. When I was making it, he sat at the table by me, and as soon as I finished, he put it on and began barking.
A daughter has already requested the owl for Halloween.

I bought the supplies before school and made it in afternoon after the kids had started school. It uses Phoomph, which is a product I had not heard of before. It's available at Joann's.

This is a NO-SEW pattern, so if you are not a seamstress, don't worry. You need sharp scissors and an awl would be helpful, but I didn't have one and it worked out OK.

PROS:
It's soft, yet stiff at the same time. We chose cotton fabric, so it will not get too hot on his face. I think he will use it on many occasions. With scraps of fabric and a few supplies you make many masks. that. The elastic makes it easily adjustable and my 3 year old can get it on and off easily. 

If you look closely at my mask, you will see that the contrast colors are a reverse image of what was designed below. It was my mistake and I chose to proceed in spite of it. If you follow the instructions, yours will turn out looking as it was designed.

Sandi has created other patterns as well, her Car-Seat Canopy has been very popular.

I was given the pattern for testing, but I would like to give one away to my readers.

In your comment, please tell me which mask you are most interested in.  I will take comments until Monday, Sept 2nd at midnight, and announce a winner on Weds, Sept 3rd.
If your email is not connected to your profile, please include that as well.



(A little early, but hope you have a nice Labor day weekend! I will be back with a finished quilt).

1 comment:

  1. The robot mask is super cool. Though I should probably get a pattern for the simple pink one as I have a boy who would love to be Super Why for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete