Friday, September 7, 2012

With her own two hands

safety pins still attached . . . . in case you were wondering

A couple of months ago, I met a very inspiring woman. Widowed, and in her 70's (that's a guess), she sews about 150 quilts each year. When I asked her where they were donated, she listed at least 5 distinct places. "Anyone who wants a quilt should have one," she said.

Though she is the leader, of course, she doesn't work alone. She mentioned one friend who liked to piece tops with her, three who did bindings, and then there is the summer service project of tying that many quilts in one day.


We could not help on quilt tying day, but she gave us several to tie, bind, and return to her. Each family member helped with the tying--including the one who is so little he could only cut the ties. (Well supervised).

The 150 quilt woman is so great--not only because of the number--but because of her service. When I grow old, I want to be busy like her--making the world around me a better place. She's not an isolated case, either--I know lots of women who work like that.

Enjoy your weekend and your own two hands.


p.s. The "Two Hands" reference is from the song below.
I love it--I cry every time I hear it.
One person and two hands can make a difference.

"With My Own Two Hands"
(feat. Ben Harper)


I can change the world
With my own two hands
Make it a better place
With my own two hands
Make it a kinder place
With my own two hands
With my own
With my own two hands
I can make peace on earth
With my own two hands
I can clean up the earth
With my own two hands
I can reach out to you
With my own two hands
With my own
With my own two hands
I'm going to make it a brighter place
With my own two hands
I'm going to make it a safer place
With my own two hands
I'm going to help the human race
With my own two hands
With my own
With my own two hands
I can hold you
With my own two hands
I can comfort you
With my own two hands
But you've got to use
Use your own two hands
Use your own
Use your own two hands
With our own
With our own two hands
With my own
With my own two hands

No comments:

Post a Comment