Saturday, March 24, 2012

#43 Thrifty gift

A couple weeks ago I asked my dad what he wanted for his birthday.

He replied, "A blue short-sleeve shirt."

He was referring to the long-sleeved blue shirt he gave me months ago to re-fashion into a short sleeve shirt.
I think my original deadline was Christmas . . . he must have given them to me in Sept or Oct???

It felt good to get it done this morning. He had given me another long sleeve shirt to practice on, and a short sleeve shirt to use as a guide. So I gave him back this short sleeve sandwich.


(Is "refashion" the right word in this case?) I had a bit of trouble sewing them without puckering. Stitching on the right side seemed to help ease. If they don't fit for his work preference, he can always wear them mowing the lawn.
My grandma, his mom, was a seamstress. She is famous for turning collars on his shirt once it showed too much wear. I think he wanted to give me practice stitching outside my comfort zone. That, and he wanted to wear the shirt again.



I haven't been writing much lately, nothing finished to share. My back was bad for about a week, and I did no sewing then. When it got feeling better a bit, one of my first outings was to buy one of these for my sewing chair, (it really helps me, I use it often at the computer as well).


Have a good week--happy spring!

1 comment:

  1. What a great gift for dad! I did not know that grandma turned the collars.

    ReplyDelete