Tuesday, November 15, 2011

#38 Kwik Sew 2957: Knit pencil skirt

My friend Katie wrote a tutorial for making a knit pencil skirt. Today during naptime, I tried it out.
I had two knit dresses that I was keeping around for knit "muslins," so I cut one up and made it into a skirt. Because it was not intended for wearing outside the home, I probably will not, but I it is what I change into when I come home from church on Sunday.
clean this mirror!!!

Details:
Pattern: Kwik Sew 2957 This pattern has a gathered version, so I followed it's cutting lines. I tapered my hem by one inch on each pattern piece, which resulted in 4 inches total.
Date started: 11/15
Date finished: 11/15

I still want to work on the shape of the skirt a little. I will try tapering it more (Katie did 8 inches). See the extra fabric near my left hip? I think I can take out some on both sides, but it will depend on the stretch of whatever knit I buy.

I am on a hunt to find a knit for this skirt. When I do, I will be making a version 2, to wear in public.
I might have to convince myself to buy the boots I want to wear with it, since I will be saving $ on the skirt.

Here are some RTW knit pencil skirts for inspiration:
Land's End
Ann Taylor
Coldwater Creek ( I love this one in herringbone--a print would be great).
J. Jill Fair Isle (This one isn't quite a pencil, but the Fair Isle is very interesting).
J. Jill Charcoal (Probably my fave--you have to roll over the colors if you want to see grey. I like that J. Jill sells their basics in more than black. )

1 comment:

  1. Makes me want to make one as well. It is awesome you can make it in one day.

    ReplyDelete