FINISHES: I completed my third bathing suit using Jalie 2317 again. It is the best one yet! The hole in my daughter's bathing suit is growing, which motivated me to finally cut her bathing suit this week.
The trickiest part of a bathing suit is applying the elastic after the suit is sewn. It only took about an hour after tracing to cut and sew a complete suit. Finishing the elastic slows me down. I would like to read another pattern to see if the instructions are more complete--the Jalie instructions are diagrams . . . no words. I read a tip on Creative Chicks that helped smooth out some of the leg wrinkles--the neckline is still too gathered in the front with no ripples in the back.
Maybe I need to measure when quadranting the elastic?
Or perhaps use smaller elastic in the arm holes? (I don't think the pattern calls for more than one size, but it seems so big on the tiny arm holes).
Here are some closer up views. The bust is too big for her. I did not grade it, I just cut the size for her shoulder to crotch height--thus the extra fabric in the chest.
Compare the back neckline to the front, and you will see the smooth elastic in the back and the gathering puckers in the front. Truly, the neckline is the area which needs the most improvement.
![]() |
| Isn't that neck straining cute? |
That said, she loves it. I am happy with it--and couple of things to try next time. I started Monday night and finished Wednesday night, so it went together quickly. I am not sure how many bathing suits it will take until I am completely happy, but I have at least two more to make for this summer, so I will get some more practice! Bathing suits are worth knowing how to sew--the one I want is $100. Multiply that times the number of daughters I have, and well . . . . it's worth spending a little more time getting it right.
![]() |
| 3 are theirs, 3 are mine |



It looks good. Someday I will have to try making swim suits.
ReplyDeleteWe had SO MUCH FUN!! Thanks so much for letting us crash with you.
ReplyDelete