Saturday, February 12, 2011

Weekly Report--Week 7

M 2/7 I gathered another seam on the gift I am sewing. It is coming along. It only needs two more seams, which I should be able to accomplish tomorrow.
(I decided I can't use TSS--because it stands for Toxic Shock Syndrome).

T 2/8 At 10:10 pm I knit a few rows on a dishcloth and called it a night.

W 2/9 Happiness is using my sewing machine.
I finished the last two seams. It is darling. I wish it were for me.
Cut the bodice for Simplicity 2688 in a size 3, to check the size on my daughter.

TH 2/10 Waistline casing and hem-done of the gift.
Sewed the bodice. Correct size. I think.

F 2/11 I stitched the casing closed on my gift and put it in the mail. Woohoo!!! I love a completed project. And since you don't get to see it now since it's a gift, I will show you a pic of what is next in line for the sewing machine.

the pattern, satin and overskirt fabric
Things I know:
I am excited and terrified all at once.
I want single layer sleeves. I will do a solid sleeve and will do the sleeve binding in organza.
The lavender has a right (shiny) and a wrong (dull) side, so I don't want to have the right side face the body like a traditional lining would.
I plan to use my first invisible zipper in clothing. (I have practiced on scraps only). Baste first.

Things I am not sure about: 
My plan is to use the solid lavender as an underlining and treat the two fabric layers as one.

I don't want to do this at the side seams of the skirt, however, I want the skirt layers to move independently at that junction. So . . . thinking about how to proceed. I hope to figure it out in my brain before cutting my fabric so there are no surprises. 


OOOH . . . a flash of inspiration . . . . Can I underline the bodice, connect the skirts at the waistline, but sew the sideseams of the skirts independently?
Maybe with french seam so they are finished?
Would that plan work when I get to zippertime? (sort of like suppertime . . . ha, ha, ha.)


SA 2/12
After going back and forth on what I would stitch today, while writing this post I decided to cut out the bodice and go for it. I cut bodices times two, and staystitched them. I plan to serge seams to get a finished edge inside. I might have to do something like bind the sleeves for a finished edge--no way I will serge there. I can't wait to start again Monday morning!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, that's going to be a pretty dress!! For D, I presume, since she's the size three. She's going to be such a princess in it!
    For the skirt lining/underlining, it is a little tricky. I did it with Myra's Easter dress last year. You do the bodice and skirt separately, leaving CB open for your zip. Then comes the tricky part. The easy, but not as pretty way to do it would be to treat the overskirt and satin as one at CB and stitch both into the zipper seam. The fancier but infinitely m ore complicated method would be to sew the CB seam of the overskirt (with a french seam) only up to the point where the zipper will come and hem the opening before you attach the skirt and bodice to each other. You end up with an open CB seam on the bodice and skirt underlayer with the overskirt seamed, then you insert the zip in the bodice and underskirt only, leaving the overskirt free with a hemmed opening that allows access to the zipper. Here is the dress I made for Myra. You can kind of see it in the back view if you blow it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fabrics. It looks like it will be a beautiful dress.

    ReplyDelete