Saturday, December 25, 2010

#20, 22-24 Assembly line PJ's

In October, I began a project to sew PJ pants for my sister's family, 5 people.

A couple of lessons learned:
1) Place your pattern twice, cut once.
I cut the older boy size on the younger girl fabric!
And the younger girl size on the older boy fabric! ARGH!!!!
Thankfully, I have an older girl and a younger boy . . . so all is not lost, I will be making them in 2011.

2) Assembly line sewing isn't the fastest if you make the same mistake 5 times.
Just trust me. No more details on this, just trust me. (This actually did not happen on my sister's, on a friend's who was also sewing 5 pairs of PJ's. OK, that was one more detail).

3)When you walk by a $2 pair of pj pants in a size you need, BUY THEM!
(That is why I am only counting 4 finished garments, not 5 above). 

4) Just because you are sewing assembly line style, you will not get them finished if you do not frequently frequent the factory.

5) If you are up late one night sewing on an applique, make sure you get it on the correct side before sewing it on.

6)When your mom comes over the next day, kindly ask her to rip it out and sew on one of your appliques. Thanks mom!

7) Kindly dismiss the voice in your head that encourages you to cut out more appliques in star, moon, and spaceship shapes to put on their T-shirts. Just get them in the mail!

I am happy with how they turned out and hope that my sister's family loves their "Out of this World" PJ's.

(On this happy note, I will not be making PJ's for awhile. I have some dresses to make and a quilt or two for which I already have fabric. Planning 2011!)

No comments: