Saturday, July 10, 2010

Summer sewing 2010: Zippered bags

I wanted to sew with my extended family while on vacation this year. I came up with a project that we could take with us and could be adapted to many needs, interests, and ability levels. At the last minute I almost abandoned the idea, but my husband encouraged me to forge ahead and I am glad he did.

This project is perfect for practicing sewing in a zipper. My sisters and I made 4 of them in UT, and added 8 more in ID. Most of the bags used 4 rectangles of 6 X 8 in fabric and a 9 inch zipper, and two rectangles of heavyweight non-fusible interfacing.

Perhaps the best part was working together--everyone had a job--picking out fabric or zippers, cutting out fabric, ironing, and sewing in their own zipper. We used regular machines for the zippers and then I serged them closed. I accidentally serged one completely shut--thank goodness for a husband who understands how to fix that . . . . .

Sew fun!

2 comments:

  1. That is so fun!! And your bags are looking very cute. Practice makes perfect, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were fun! I am glad that you brought your serger.

    ReplyDelete